Support (WNTD) World No Tobacco Day
Some Facts from www.wntd.com
You can also send a e card to encourage someone to quit. E-CARDS
* every year, tobacco kills 3.5 million
people around the world. In other words, about 10,000 people around the world die from tobacco every day.
* one million of these deaths currently occur in developing countries
* globally, nearly 47% of men and 12% of women smoke * in developing countries, 48% of men and 7% of women smoke * in developed countries, 42% of men smoke, as do 24% of women
* the global tobacco epidemic is predicted to prematurely claim the lives of some 250 million children and adolescents, a third of whom are in developing countries
* China predicts that of the 300 million males now aged 0-29, about 200 million will become smokers.
* Of these 200 million smokers, about 100 million will eventually die from tobacco-related diseases and half of these deaths will occur in middle-age and before age 70.
* It is predicted that by the year 2020, tobacco will become the leading cause of death and disability, killing more than 10 million people annually, thus causing more deaths than HIV, tuberculosis, maternal mortality, motor vehicle accidents, suicide, and homicide combined.